Sunday, March 14, 2010

Happy Pi Day!

3.14 and then some.....an infinite decimal with no repeating patterns that we know of yet.  The ratio of the circumference of a circle to the diameter.  At least that is what the paper says.

I went snowboarding with some friends from work on Tuesday of this past week.  It was amazing.  64 Degrees, slushy snow (good for snowboards), and no lines.  While we went all over, we spent most of our time in the terrain park doing jumps and things.  One of the best snowboarding days ever...and one of only a hand full of times that I've been with more than one person.

The weather magically went from being nearly or below freezing every night and highs averaging 45 during the day (for over two months) to being about 50 degrees in the morning and up to 70 or so during the day.  EVERYONE (SGG and three kids) is a lot happier.  :-)

Happy Fat needs to go...and it has.  I had a friend tell me once that during the first year of a relationship both participants gain 10 lbs of "happy fat".  You go out to eat a lot, etc.  Due to one injury or another, sickness, etc my exercising hasn't been as consistent as it needs to be.  In January I read this about visceral fat.  That moment I started the Atkins diet.  The weight has been consistent in coming off, but I haven't been as consistent with my exercising.  A lot of stress at work isn't helping my moods and motivation when I get home either.

I have been doing much better with piano practice and lessons though.

I have a huge drive and desire to learn additional languages.  I don't know why.  I took three years of German in high school and I enjoy reading and speaking it when I can.  For some reason, reading it is no problem, listening and speaking is a problem.  I started working on Spanish a few years ago when I was going to Mexico.  I need to get back to that.  I also want to learn Japanese, Chinese, and French.  Really, I just want to be able to understand a little of the structure of the language, and be able to hold a simple "Hello, how are you, how much, where are the bathrooms, I don't understand, Excuse me, I'm sorry, thank you, you are welcome," etc type of conversation.  I doubt I'll ever be fluent, but give me a little bit of the code and I can unravel a lot more when exposed.  I've thought about spending a month at home where my son and I learn and talk as much of a certain language each month, and rotate through.  Saying "Guten Morgan", "Wie Gehts", "Aufwiedersehen", "Wo ist es?" "Wie viehl?" "Guten abent" "Schlaf gut" "Es ist sehr gut" "ich habe hunger"  "ich habe durst" "Ich weiss" "Du weist es nicht".  The last two being the bulk of conversation between my son and I lately..."I know"  "You do not know".  SGG laughs hysterically whenever I try to pronounce anything French.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. I'VE BEEN TRYING TO LEARN GERMAN TOO FOR A FEW YEARS NOW-- NO PARTICULAR REASON. I THOUGHT IF I COULD LEARN IT I WOULD TRY OTHER LANGUAGES. I MUST HAVE OVERESTIMATED MYSELF. SEEMS LIKE THE HARDEST THING IN THE WORLD TO DO. I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU WOULD LEARN,JUST FOR A HOBBY, IF YOU REALLY HAVE NO ONE TO PRACTISE WITH EVERYDAY.I COULD GET ACROSS WHAT I NEED TO SAY BUT MY COMPREHENSION IS ZERO.WHEN I LISTEN TO DEUTSCHE WELLE IT MAY AS WELL BE IN MARTIAN. AND THERE'S NEVER ANY IMPROVEMENT NO MATTER HOW MUCH I LISTEN. IT'S A MYSTERY TO ME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weight jumps on, the weight jumps off...what a cycle. My only success has been just making it a way of life - so I do whatever I can each day, even if it's 19 minutes of walking or something! It's less pressure than "how will I find an hour." And there are days when nothing happens - but it's so the exception. Let us know how to say visceral fat in German :-D!
    Swati

    ReplyDelete

I will not accept advertising in the body of comments. If you leave links to spam, goods, or services it will be deleted. If you embed HTML it will be deleted. For any number of other reasons I may delete the comment. I do this for the safety and well being of the readers of the blog.