Sunday, February 01, 2009

If you are grouchy and you know it crack a smile....

My son got ready for school one day this week and he showed up in the kitchen with shorts on. I could see it in his eyes that he was ready for battle. He really wanted to wear the shorts. It was 35 degrees outside.

I told him he could not wear the shorts because it was 35 degrees outside. He insisted. I told him that I was going to win and that if he persisted then he would lose a lot of privileges and STILL have to wear the pants. He brooded about then changed.

In the past this would have elicited an all out nuclear tantrum from him, but he is certainly getting more mature and able to think through these situations better.

When he returned to the kitchen he was very very grouchy. Sort of throwing his little body around, making quick abbreviated movements and being not so gentle with everything he touched.

When he started the toaster, he just stood at the counter and looked down with a deep scowl on his face. I'm at the table, chipper, with my bowl of Organic Oats and Honey cereal and lowfat Almond Milk. Usually when he is like this I sing a little silly song. Manly right?

So, sung to the tune of "If you're happy and you know it"

"If you're grouchy and you know it crack a smile,
If you're grouchy and you know it crack a smile,
If you're grouchy and you know it and you really want to show it,
If you're grouchy and you know it crack a smile"

I had only made it through the first line when he immediately turned his head away in an obvious involuntary broad smile, struggling to contain it. It quickly turned from a smile to all out laughter. He came over, gave me a hug, and all was right as rain again.

Last Sunday was an overall pretty good day here. Soccer, girlfriend (well she has some questions about my blog today so we'll see), brother stopped in, and overall not stressful. Some very big storms were brewing at work and that was always in the background of my mind. Towards the end of the night, around 10pm, stress from work was really kicking in. I was trying to straighten the house and I was doing the dishes. I reached for the spray nozzle to wash a few things off. While pulling it out and towards me, my finger slipped and mashed the button. It sprayed me in the face, and half the kitchen. At that moment I just chose to laugh.

Laughter can be the best medicine at times.

3 comments:

  1. I am stealing your song! My son gets so grumpy sometimes, I am sure that will bring a smile to his face!

    It sure is making me giggle a little, just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie,
    Steal whatever you want! I get plenty of ideas from lots of different people. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great song, and an admirable approach, Mike! I'm with Angie. I'm stealin' it!

    ReplyDelete

I will not accept advertising in the body of comments. If you leave links to spam, goods, or services it will be deleted. If you embed HTML it will be deleted. For any number of other reasons I may delete the comment. I do this for the safety and well being of the readers of the blog.