Monday, June 18, 2007

Som'n Som'n

Sunday was a great day all day. The run was fantastic. Who knew there were hills in Va Beach? Not really hills though, slight inclines and declines. You can feel them though. The declines are great, but on the inclines I just lower my head, lean forward and push through. Dodgeball is a literal blast. We start Thursday and we have a great group of people playing. After playing basketball for 25 years, shifting to volleyball is taking some work, but I'm getting it. Three hours of pickup games Sunday helped. Helps to have the ocean to soak in between games. There was a good break on the outer sandbar that had me wishing I had brought my surfboard. I will next time I go out. A group of us met at a friend's place Sunday night to have a "fix the hot tub party." The food was fabulous, the hot tub kind of caught on fire, but we ordered a new circuit board for it, then played the "Battle of the Sexes" board game until...sometime.

Began Body for Life Monday with decent workout. Upper body. Then Volleyball. We went 1 for 3, so not very good. We get better with every game though. A group of us then went to Mahi Mahs, listened to the band Plastic Eddie (which were pretty good), had a few drinks and some dinner, and broke for the night when the band packed up.

I could not get up this morning to run. I barely made it to work. My body is in high protest right now, but I'm sure it will catch up. I did my aerobic for BFL tonight though.

I'm putting an offer on another house. I hope it goes well. It is a lot cheaper than the first one. It isn't as big, but probably perfect for Brandon and I.

There is a lot to finish the week out with. :-) Hopefully I will be packing too!

Something to think about:

Be HERE now. There are many ways to say this, but the only thing that really matters is this moment. The next will come, or not come, but you can concentrate on that when it gets here. The past is gone and can't be changed, but remember the past can affect the present, so be so very careful what you do HERE now. You only have influence over the present. This is where and when you can act. This is where and when you make the difference you want to make in this life. So what do you do in this moment? Do you act solely for you? Do you act for others? Do you act for everything? Some things we do not have a choice in. The more material possessions we have, the more of this moment they take up. The more superficial things or people we have around us, then the more of this moment we need to concentrate on them. The more we have going on around us, the less time we get to spend in our moment on the things that REALLY matter. So what REALLY matters to you? There is no right or wrong answer, it is your choice.

More to think about (and more on this later I think):

The Four Noble Truths
1. Life means suffering.
2. The origin of suffering is attachment.
3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.
4. The path to the cessation of suffering.


The eightfold path:
1. Right View
2. Right Intention
3. Right Speech
4. Right Action
5. Right Livelihood
6. Right Effort
7. Right Mindfulness
8. Right Concentration


:-) And in the true Buddhist spirit...I shaved my head. Well, a #2 comb. I may go lower, we'll see. Was tired of dealing with my hair. It was getting really thin anyway. No, I'm not turning completely Buddhist, but I feel like there is much to learn so I may be spending some time thinking and reading about it over the next few weeks. Really the religion/philosophy mirrors others. Letting go of material things comes to mind first. The way you treat others comes to mind next. The words are just words, it is the connection they embody that is important.

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE
Search and know the truth for your life.

*Oh, and I've been tagged. As soon as I figure that out I should have another post with weird facts about me since I am a bit weeuhd.

~Mike

4 comments:

  1. Pictures. We want pictures of the bald head. Admit it, you did it for the survivor game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) Surviving yes, but the game of life, not just blogosphere SBS!

    A picture may be forthcoming when I decide on the final cut. I may take it lower. It will take a week or so to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, I agree. This is picture worthy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The origin of suffering is attachment."

    So utterly, painfully true.

    ReplyDelete

I will not accept advertising in the body of comments. If you leave links to spam, goods, or services it will be deleted. If you embed HTML it will be deleted. For any number of other reasons I may delete the comment. I do this for the safety and well being of the readers of the blog.