Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Stumbling blocks on our path

The first hurdle I encountered this morning for my run was me. I didn't want to get out of bed. I said I would do it later. Just a few more minutes. I woke up from a vivid dream at 4:00am and couldn't get back to sleep so I needed that sleep. Well, at 5:00 am I jumped the hurdle and got up. A few ounces of water and I was getting dressed. Stretching was harder than I thought too. 30 minutes on the elliptical did some good I suppose. That and running/jumping in the sand for volleyball.

The second hurdle I encountered this morning for my run was me. Walking down the driveway and knowing what was in front of me was intimidating. I was going to extend my run a little this morning and I ached. I dodged that hurdle, saved it for later, and started out.

The third hurdle I encountered on my run this morning was me. The first block was spent trying to decide if the pain was going to be worth it. The joints, especially the knees are really protesting all the recent activity, but I am convinced that it isn't going to get better unless I push it. I bulldozed that barrier and plunged on through.

The fourth obstacle I encountered on my run this morning was me and an accidental lake. The water main broke and the service road was a lake. There was a police patrol car to dissuade traffic. So do I divert? Nope. Water or not, I'm going through. Another bump waded through.

The fifth obstacle I encountered this morning was me. When I was nearing my normal turn I was thinking I could extend the run another day. I stuck to my plan though and scaled that cliff.

The last impediment I faced this morning was me. When should I stop running? The main road, the normal point, or somewhere in between? Stopping before the finish, the real finish is an illusion so I closed my eyes and jogged through the facade and completed the task.

In most things, the only real barrier is ourselves. I keep telling my son this, but I have to remember it for me too. As Chuck Swindoll said once "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it." Find the right view and the right intention, the hurdles will come, but you will see how to clear them and have the power to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will not accept advertising in the body of comments. If you leave links to spam, goods, or services it will be deleted. If you embed HTML it will be deleted. For any number of other reasons I may delete the comment. I do this for the safety and well being of the readers of the blog.