Thursday, May 17, 2007

Labels....

We all got'em. What do we do with them?

My son is now labeled "Emotionally Disturbed". Official. In his record. Found out that parents do not want their children in class with him. They do not want their children sitting near him. They are afraid to send their children to school with him. Everyone is at a loss. Medication is working at home, but at school he has become a nightmare. One area always seems to get better while another falls. He isn't doing any work in school anymore and has reverted back to the behavior he had last year. So, what to do now?

They are going to do an IEP next week, and BIP shortly after. They are starting the gifted paperwork. He was accepted to the Math and Science Academy, but is on a waiting list. Because he didn't start in second grade, the kids that are in fourth grade this year have precedence. Not likely he will get there. As a magnet school I thought it was a gifted program. It is not. I understand the distinction now. They will put my son into a gifted cluster class next year, provided some improvement in his behavior occurs, but he cannot test for the gifted program until the fall. The two magnet programs he applied for do not count for the gifted program.

Good and bad things came out of the meeting. It was not nearly as hopeful as I wanted. I pretty much went the other way. {HEAVY SIGH}

~Mike

3 comments:

  1. I don't even know the things to say to this, other than sorry that things seemed to stack so heavily in the negative pile. It breaks my heart that your son is made to seem like a "carrier" of something, that adults seem to fear.

    I'm not even sure I'm saying this right, so I'll just say that I'll be thinking of you two. You seem like such a tireless advocate for him that I hope something positive comes to light soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please know that you are not alone. As an only parent of a special needs child - and also having to look for a new school for next year, I understand what it's like to walk in your shoes. I wish you luck and I will have you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh....the "ED" label. I remember that one. Hang in there kiddo.

    ReplyDelete

I will not accept advertising in the body of comments. If you leave links to spam, goods, or services it will be deleted. If you embed HTML it will be deleted. For any number of other reasons I may delete the comment. I do this for the safety and well being of the readers of the blog.