Thursday, May 10, 2007

No sense laughing over spilled milk...

Well, Tuesday night we spent two hours rock climbing. My hands and forearms were very tired after that. Wednesday night I did my upper body workout, which consists of weightlifting for my chest, shoulders, back, and arms. Brandon and I had to stop at the grocery store to get a few things and pick up a prescription. I know all of the pharmacists and helpers there now. It seems like I am there every week or so with some new prescription for either my son or I. I have a mini pharmacy in my kitchen now. The main thing I needed was milk and cereal for my son. I should have also picked up a couple of bottles of wine and some beer, alas, another time. Did I mention I had really worked my arms over the past 24 hours? We got home and unloaded the car. I went out to get the last two bags and the milk. I was holding onto the milk with my right hand while raising it to close the hatchback. The downward motion with the milk was too much for my tired hand and the milk kersplatted on the ground. Immediately the container ushered forth the gulp gulp gulp sound of escaping milk. A small white lake formed on my driveway followed by a small white river snaking away from the lake, while the gulp gulp gulp sound continued to signal that the bottom of the gallon container was cracked wide open and allowing the milk to escape. I started laughing. What else can you do right? Then, duh-duh, a bright idea shone in the darkness. I could pick it up, turn it upside down and get the rest of it into a pitcher! Milk is far too expensive to just laugh or cry over anymore. Turning it upside down allowed me to discover that the container was fractured on both ends. Oh well, there will be a milk trail in the house, but the milk must be saved! I ran inside and placed it in the sink. I directed my son to start wiping up the milk trail whilst I located the long lost pitcher. Fortunately it was quickly found and I believe we saved at least a half gallon, if not more, of milk. Not a noteworthy story by any measure, but if that is the most exciting thing that happens this week then I'll be very happy.

My son brought home a letter from the gifted education teacher at his school. The letter was for me. I had asked her to send me some information on a seminar they had last year about "Twice Exceptional" students. You see, I was out playing volleyball at the beach and I met a special education teacher and talked to her about my son. She recalled this seminar. Now I have some information. Why they could not have given this to me when we were going through the special education committee meetings the first part of the year, I don't know. I guess I didn't know how to ask the right question, but I think I found one. So, what is twice exceptional? Some kids are considered 'gifted' and they discover this through testing. Some kids have learning disabilities and they discover this through pretty much the same method. Then you have children in the middle. Well, there is this fourth category (maybe more). Twice exceptional is used to define children that have above average intelligence, but also have learning disabilities. They often go undiagnosed because the intelligence kind of masks the disability. My son sort of falls into this category. What does it all mean? I do not know yet. I have to finish reading the material they sent home. As I blogged about previously, my son does not really 'fit' in the normal class. His grades are too good and he is too capable for special education so he does not fit there. His behavior/emotional problems also prevent him from moving into the gifted programs too. So he does not really fit anywhere. It really is no wonder he has some anger issues, I would too if I was rejected everywhere I went and by everyone I met and I could not get any help or love.

~Mike

2 comments:

  1. Mike, have you ever considered homeschooling for your son? It's done wonders for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,
    I thought about it very early on, but especially since I am now a single working parent, homeschooling is totally out of reach. However, if you know of some resources, I would love to hear about them. I have found that most women seem to have a support network and get a ton of information that never seems to make it over to the men. A lot of that occurs between the stay at home moms I have met around here. Most of the time I ask a question and so much information starts coming out that I start to feel stupid. Seems like so much is common knowledge, but I'm left out of the loop. That is part of the reason I started blogging and started really going out to look at other people's blogs. I know there is more out there, but I'm not tapping into it for some reason.

    ReplyDelete

I will not accept advertising in the body of comments. If you leave links to spam, goods, or services it will be deleted. If you embed HTML it will be deleted. For any number of other reasons I may delete the comment. I do this for the safety and well being of the readers of the blog.